Total Hip Replacement
Dr. Plummer’s goal is to improve patients’ mobility and quality of life by reducing joint pain and restoring joint function. Many people suffering from arthritis, hip pain and stiffness can now choose a less invasive procedure, a direct anterior total hip replacement. This is one of the least invasive surgical options and is a technique that minimizes pain and time from surgery to recovery.
The anterior approach allows the surgeon to reach the hip joint from the front of the hip as opposed to the lateral (side) or the posterior (back) approach. This way, the hip can be replaced without the detachment of muscle from the pelvis or femur during surgery. Our skilled surgeons can simply work through the natural interval between the muscles.
Here are some benefits of direct anterior total hip replacement:
- Less muscle trauma for patients
- Reduced hospital stay and quicker rehabilitation
- Smaller incision (4 to 5 inches as compared to 10 to 12 inches)
- Faster recovery time
- Reduced pain and tissue healing required
- Reduced risk of dislocation and more rapid return to normal activities (under physician’s supervision, may be immediate)
Most patients say that a hip replacement has helped them reduce or eliminate pain, in addition to improving both their hip function and quality of life.View More Specialties